I was working yesterday on an organizing overhaul with owners in their commercial space, and one of the things I was able to see right away was the need to establish a gift prep station. This company offers gift bags and baskets filled with their product, along with nicely presented gift certificates.
The problem: prep was taking place in the staff room, in the back storage area, at the front counter, and even on the fly in the boss’ office. Madness, right?
In the open storage area there is an old metal office desk being used for a work surface. All the drawers have been removed, so the desk surface is really its only function. This storage area also has lots of unused vertical space.
I don’t have any photos to share right now, but here’s a mock-up of what we plan to do.
- Add open shelving above the desk for supplies
- Install a removable rod under the bottom shelf for rolls of ribbon
- Mount containers to the wall for scissors, pens, and all those miscellaneous tools that need to be handy
- Install a bulletin board to help keep track of things
- Install open shelving in the desk
- the 2 wide shelves will hold flat sheets of tissue (they usually work with just 2 colours)
- the 3 smaller shelves will hold their stock of gift bags and gift certificates
The owner was thrilled with this plan, and by the time I left yesterday I had moved everything related to the gift prep into this area.
If all goes well the shelving should be installed next week… just in time for the Mother’s Day rush!
Do you look at your space in terms of zones or stations?
I really believe thinking of your space chunked into zones or stations, makes it easier to stay organized. Not only does this establish the function of the area, but it narrows down your options for where things belong. And this makes it easier to keep things in their place, and maximize the function of your total space.
THANKS FOR READING; I HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!
It’s about coming home… and home is a special place that tells your story!
If you would like a little help with your space contact me here.
Looking for a colour consultation click here.
Follow my Boards on Pinterest
Like my Page on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Interested in a Sponsorship opportunity? Click here for details.