Staging for the Seasons
Did you know that staging for a new season is upon us?
Staging is not simply tidying up and moving furniture around, or putting out fresh towels, and putting away the dishes. In fact, there is nothing ‘simple’ about staging. Staging is a very deliberate form of marketing; it not only is about suggesting value, but it also plays on emotion. We know that buying a home is a financial investment, clearly. But did you know the final decision about which home to buy really comes down to the feeling a buyer experiences when they view the home? Happiness, excitement, calm, a sense of security… whatever the emotion, it’s about falling in love. And that’s why the art of staging is in creating a ‘feeling’ that a potential buyer will fall in love with; staging appeals to the senses, and that includes connecting with the seasonal ‘senses’ in the air.
So what does this mean, the season in the air? If you stop to think about it – when spring is just around the corner suddenly you begin to hear people talking about ‘spring cleaning’, lightening things up, waking up from the dark, cold days of winter hibernation. With spring is a feeling of rebirth, a burst of fresh energy, and a world of renewed colours emerging. And as summer sets in curb appeal takes on a whole new meaning. Suddenly there is a rainbow of live colour all around. You see gardens in full bloom, lush green trees, and of course people enjoying life outside. With summer comes a carefree sense of ‘fun’ in the sun. Staging for summer is about appealing to the ‘freshness’, the ‘fun’, the ‘light, and bright, and airy’ feeling of outdoor living…
But now with summer fading, and fall upon us, it’s time to shift the staging style to match the approaching season. It’s time to introduce warm, cozy textures, and deeper, richer palettes that make you want to curl up and relax. It’s time to appeal to the ‘comforts’ of home.
So how do you do this?
With the fall and winter months you want to maximize the feeling that first hits you when you step inside, out of the cold. You want potential buyers to be drawn further into the home by the warmth that greets them. The key is to focus on the ‘heart’ of the home.
How a room ‘feels’ when you step inside has more to do with its energy than its objects, but how objects are placed feeds that energy. Staging uses furniture placement, artwork and accessories with intention: to draw a buyer’s eye to a great feature, and move them through to the next room. Play up features like fireplaces, window seats, cozy nooks and crannies, and of course, be strategic with colour. Colour can make or break the feeling in a room, and like it or not, colour sells. It is the canvas for the room, and as Matthew Finlason writes in his blog, must connect with the target market.
If you are selling your home in the fall and winter months, try a few of these tips:
- Swap out area rugs for something with a deeper pile, or layer a smaller feature rug like a shag, or sheepskin on top of the existing rug.
- Change out your lighter toss cushions to include some deeper colours, or add one or two with densely textured fabrics.
- Drape a snugly throw over a chair, or at the foot of a bed.
- Place lamps so they cast a warm glow over the surfaces and objects nearby.
- Install drapery panels that blend with your wall colour, adding warmth without stealing attention.
- Replace metallic coloured frames on artwork with assorted black frames.
- Place a painting that captures the emotional colours of the season.
- Add a few wooden or clay accessories in your focal areas, such as sculptures, bowls, or vases.
Questions to ask yourself when your home is ready to be listed:
- Do you feel soothed, safe, protected from the elements outside?
- Are you comfortable in this space?
- Do you want to linger and move at your leisure, or do you feel like you can’t leave each room fast enough?
- Do you feel welcome in this space? How would your friends, family…your associates connect with the space?
Staging suggests a lifestyle, and that includes tapping into the senses that go hand-in-hand with the season outside.
Contact Us to schedule a staging service that sells… creating a ‘welcome home’ feeling for buyers is our goal; showcasing your investment is what we do!